BW Technology Logo EF JoineryW Glendinning  Pinpoint  

Dear Supporter

It’s now been 2 weeks since our first statement, so I wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the current situation within East Fife Football Club. If you haven’t seen our first update, you can view it here.

Firstly, I would like to confirm the situation from our club’s perspective on the SPFL’s resolution that was voted on by all member clubs at the end of last week. The resolution was for season 2019/20 to be concluded now with current Championship, League One and League Two places declared as final and the remaining tranches of prize money paid to all member clubs based on these positions. This would have seen Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers promoted while Partick Thistle and Stranraer would be relegated. My board met twice via video conferences on Thursday and Friday to discuss and agree our stance. Although we have no issue with current league positions being declared final from a prize money perspective, the overwhelming consensus was that we could not vote in favour of a resolution that would see fellow clubs relegated without the full conclusion of the 36 game season. You will have seen that three League One & Two clubs voted against the resolution and I can confirm, to avoid any misinformation or speculation, that we were one of the three.

As things stand today (Sunday 12th April 2020) we await further communication from the SPFL on the next stage. I will keep you updated as best I can as things progress but unfortunately the situation is fast-moving, and it might not be possible to do so in advance of final decisions being taken.      

As with many other businesses, we’ve moved to take advantage of government’s Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme and furlough all of our first-team players & management staff for 3 months, effective from 14 March 2020. Those on furlough undertake no work on behalf of the club; including taking part in organised or prescribed training sessions & playing matches. We understand that furloughed employees on the Job Retention Scheme will be entitled to a wage subsidy of 80% of normal earnings. That being the case, we are committed to topping up the remaining 20% for as long as financially possible. Leona continues to work from home and is available to answer any enquiries via email. In my first update I mentioned that we were in the process of checking whether our Business Interruption Insurance would kick in now that we’re in a government mandated shutdown. Unfortunately, I can’t go into detail but the matter in now in the hands of the SPFL’s lawyers.

Before being placed on furlough, the first-team players intimated that they would like to check-in on some of our more vulnerable supporters, spending one Saturday afternoon phoning all of our Over 80s season ticket holders. The feedback we have received has been amazing and I am extremely proud of the players for volunteering to do this.

I would like to thank everyone who has so far contributed to the GoFundMe page. The initial target of £5,000 has now been reached and Mandy & Mel have now increased their target to £10,000. I hear that Mel celebrated reaching the initial milestone by parading through the streets of Windygates dressed as our club mascot Eric the Eagle! If anyone would like to donate you can do so here. Our thanks must also go to everyone who has contributed through East Fife TV, after 4 matches, donations are now over £1,000. 

Our Goldmine Lotto continues to be a success with nearly 50 new players signing up since it became available online. The jackpot currently stands at £1,550 and the next draw will take place on Wednesday 15th April 2020 at 1pm. If you would like to sign up for the next Goldmine draw, you can do so here.

I am delighted to announce that we will be taking advanced orders for our new home strip from early next week. As it’s a bespoke design, the cost will be slightly higher than this season strips, however, those pre-ordering can purchase theirs for £45 for adult sizes (retail price £49) and £30 for children’s sizes (retail price £35). Our kit manufacture has advised that sizes will be the same as this year’s strip. Details on how to pre-order your strip will be announced on Monday via the club website & social media channels.

Finally, I’d like to finish by thanking you for your continued support. I hope it’s not too long before we see you all back at Bayview, but until then please follow all government advice by staying home, looking after your loved ones and staying safe.


Jim Stevenson