BW Technology Logo   Taxi Centre Fife W Glendinning Pinpoint   Macon Resources    Arnold Clark  

Oli Anderson previews tomorrow’s match against Albion Rovers.

This weekend East Fife host Albion Rovers at MGM Timber Bayview Stadium for the last home game of the cinch League Two Season. Last Week, the Fifers succumbed to a 1-0 loss away to Dumbarton, battling well on a very tricky playing surface. Both sides missed a penalty in the game, and a goal from Defender McNiff was enough to seal the win.

Despite the gulf in places between the two teams in the league (with East Fife holding onto the final League One Playoff place, while Albion Rovers find themselves in the relegation playoff spot), this will be an incredibly close encounter, with every point crucial for our promotion hopes, as well as their survival chances. The Coatbridge outfit are coming off the back of a 3-1 win against East Fife’s playoff rivals Stenhousemuir, with a Joe Bevan brace bedding the Warriors at the Reigart Stadium last week.


Albion Rovers have picked up 6 points in their last 6 games, putting on performances which have not been shy of goals in recent weeks. They have won twice and been on the losing end of the result on the other 4 occasions. Their points came from their victorious battle against the Warriors last week, and a 3-0 destruction of Elgin City on matchday 32. Their losses have come at the hands of other strugglers, Stranraer and Bonnyrigg Rose, where they lost 1-0 on both occasions at home. They also fell to Forfar Athletic at Station Park 2-1 in a valiant effort. Ray McKinnon’s men were forced into a second half comeback to overcome Albion Rovers. Their final loss came a fortnight ago when they were dismantled 4-0 by Annan Athletic. Their final game of the season is against newly crowned champions Stirling Albion next week.

East Fife’s last 6 games have seen them pick up just 8 points, where despite outplaying the opposition at times, the Methil Men have been unable to capitalise. They have recorded 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses in recent weeks. Our wins came in emphatic fashion, with a routine win over Elgin City, during our edition of Friday Night Football some weeks ago, before the more impressive result, an 8-0 humiliation of a poor Stranraer side. The latter gave the Fifers their biggest ever win at Bayview Stadium, as well as their biggest league win since 1963. The two draws came from teams on the opposite ends of the table, as we played out a 1-1 draw with then bottom of the table Bonnyrigg Rose at New Dundas Park 6 weeks ago, and a 2-2 draw with the Binos at Forthbank. This proved to be an important point enroute to Stirling Albion’s first league title since 2010/11. The defeats came last week against Dumbarton, where we missed out 1-0 in a close encounter, and also at the start of April where we fell to a last-minute goal against Annan Athletic.

Last Week

East Fife made their second trip to the Rock this season to play second placed Dumbarton, in what ended up being a very dull affair. Neither side played like they deserved to win, in a performance which was a stark contrast to the way the Fifers played last week, when they demolished Stranraer 8-0.

Sons Kalvin Orsi had a stand out performance, putting in a great shift on the right wing. He brought Dumbarton their first and only real chance of the first half, after just 4 minutes had past cutting inside from the right wing, giving himself some space and firing off a shot which was denied by the woodwork. That was the only real piece of action in the first half, as East Fife sat deep and looked to hit Dumbarton on the break.

Half Time: Dumbarton 0-0 East Fife

At the start of the second half, East Fife showed their quality, attacking with pace and flair, although they were struggling to do any real damage in the final third. That was until the 55th minute when Scott Shepherd was brought down inside the box, leaving the referee no choice but to point to the spot.

Youngster Alex Ferguson stood over it, with regular penalty taker Alan Trouten on the subs bench. Unfortunately for the Methil Men, Ferguson’s penalty was at perfect height for Brett Long, who guessed the right way and kept it out to keep the score level. This knocked the wind out of East Fife’s sail and spurred on Dumbarton, proving to be the turning point in the matchup.

Dumbarton got their lead after 73 minutes of football, piling on the pressure after the penalty miss for what could only be described as 20 minutes of domination. The ball was played into the box after a set piece, and Connor McManus was left marking 2 Dumbarton players, including Martin McNiff, who picked up the ball, beat McManus and drilled his shot past Fleming.

Things went from bad to worse for East Fife, as a miscommunication between Sam Denham and Allan Fleming let target man Russell McLean in on goal, though Fleming done well to keep the score line just 1-0.

In the 89th minute, Dumbarton were awarded a dubious penalty after East Fife’s Sam Denham put in a fantastic challenge. Karma played its course however, and Allan Fleming made a great save to keep it out.

In the final minutes of stoppage time, East Fife had their chance, Jack Healy burst away from Arron Lynas, giving the Fifers a 3 on 2 advantage against Gregor Buchanan and ‘keeper Brett Long, though rather than playing the square ball, for a guaranteed goal, Healy tried to beat the goalie from close but hit it right at Long.

The everchanging cinch League Two Table: 







Stirling Albion










Annan Athletic





East Fife





Forfar Athletic















Bonnyrigg Rose





Elgin City





Albion Rovers




Squad News

Aidan Quinn has returned to fitness and is available for selection this weekend. This gives Greig McDonald a fully fit squad to pick from for the first time in months.

Previous Encounter

The last time the two sides met, East Fife came out on top. Toppling the Coatbridge outfit at the Reigart Stadium, for the second time this season.

The action started quickly, as the opening, and winning goal, came just after 5 minutes of football. St Johnstone loanee Alex Ferguson glided past two Albion defenders and slotted an inch perfect through ball to Ryan Schiavone, who fired past Leighfield with ease.

Fife then settled into the game well, and marshalled the game from the back, particularly Aaron Steele who after he found his feet, completely nullified Albion Rovers’ star man Charlie Reilly.

East Fife were very effective playing on the counter with the composed backline clearing up every half-chance which came for the Rovers. Their best chance since the goal came shortly before the half time whistle, an East Fife corner whipped in by Aidan Denholm found the feet of Sam Denham, but his shot was only good enough to cannon off of goalkeeper Leighfield’s chest.

Half Time- East Fife 1-0 Albion Rovers.

The second half was certainly more favourable for Albion Rovers. The hosts created several chances at the start of the half and were unlucky not to draw level in the early stages.

Their first chance came from a corner kick, which was not able to be cleared. After a muddle in the box, a shot was fired towards goal, but Schiavone was there to poke it off the line at the very last second.

Just before the hour mark, Albion had another golden opportunity, a cross came in from Charlie Reilly, and bobbled along the goal line, whistling past both posts on its way past.

10 minutes later, the Rovers had a free kick from the corner of the 18-yard box, though the cross came in and passed through everyone.

The 80 minute marked the return of long-term absentee Conor McManus who came onto the park and played like he had never been away with his composure.

Into stoppage time, substitute Scott Shepherd was played over the top and eventually brought down inside the box, leaving referee Scott Lambie no choice but to point to the spot. Scott Shepherd stood over the penalty himself, but Leighfield produced a great save to deny the forward.

In the astonishing 6 minutes of added time, which felt like an eternity, Jonathan Page made his second debut for East Fife, signing on deadline day, and looking assured at the back as he helped East Fife see out their win.

Team Colours

East Fife are back in their away kit this week, donning the pink shirt with black shorts and pink socks. The ‘keeper will wear the all yellow kit for the tie.  

The visitors will be clad in their away kit too, and will wear blue and white for the tie, with white shorts. The Rovers Goalkeeper will be dressed in all orange for the match. 

Match Tickets

There will be no cash turnstiles for the game this weekend, and we encourage supporters to purchase their tickets online in advance. You can also get tickets from the club, either in person, or over the telephone at 01333 426323. Parent and Child tickets must be bought directly from the club office.

Season tickets will be valid for the game.

Turnstiles will be open from 2:00pm.

Prices Below:

Adult- £18

Concessions- £14

U16s- £5

Parent & Child- £21

Parent & 2 Children- £24


Our on-pitch official for Saturday will be Steve Kirkland. His two assistants running the lines will be Colin Drummond and Andrew Bryson. 

Live Stream

Unfortunately for our British and Irish-based support, the match is not able to be watched to UK blocked hours. Luckily for our International support, the game can be watched on EFTV with a monthly or season pass!


The stadium bar will be open from 12.15pm for pre-game refreshments. The pie stalls will open prior to kick-off and will also be open at half time. Pie stalls accept both cash and card payment.


The Bayview Programme issue 22 is available from vendors outside of the stadium for £2.50. Also, half time draw tickets will be available pre-match.