BW Technology Logo   Taxi Centre Fife W Glendinning Pinpoint   Macon Resources  

East Fife made the trip to Ochilview to take on Stenhousemuir for a fifth and final time this season (unless the sides meet in playoffs). Despite playing Stenhousemuir four times already this season, East Fife had yet to win a single one, losing 2-1 twice (once in the cup and once in the league) and drawing 2-2 and 1-1 in the other two meetings. Last weekend, Alan Trouten’s leaping header snatched the three points for the Methil men, as East Fife won 3-2 against Forfar Athletic. 

No changes were made to the starting squad that overcame Forfar last weekend, however Pat Slattery did returned from injury to take a place on the bench. 

The first chance went the way of the visitors when a floating corner from Alex Ferguson was cleared by Jamieson but only as far as Brogan Walls who’s controls the ball and, from distance, forces Lyle into a good save.

On the half hour mark, Stenhousemuir had a good chance to take the lead after a strong spell with the ball. Reilly drove down the right-hand side, before cutting the ball across to Wedderburn who tried his luck from 25-yards, but his attempt sailed over the bar and into the stand behind the goal. 

After a period of good possession for the Warriors, the home side took a deserved lead when poor communication from the back line resulted in Page giving away a cheap corner. The short corner from Forbes finds Matty Yates in the middle of the box who fires home through the legs of Allan Fleming.

Straight after the Warriors took the lead, Shepherd was gifted a chance to quickly level. A combination of Schiavone’s putting pressure on Yeats and a poor headed back pass from Crichton puts Shepherd in through in goal inside the penalty area however he couldn’t get the ball under control and Lyle picks up the pieces 

HALF TIME: Stenhousemuir 1-0 East Fife

East Fife came out at the second half all guns blazing in search for an equaliser. Trouten, in the centre of the park, fed the ball out to Healy on the left side who skips past Blanley into the penalty area before going down under the defender’s challenge, but no penalty kick was awarded. 

A few minutes after the penalty shout East Fife grabbed a deserved equaliser. Good passing play in the middle of the Stenhousemuir half from Schiavone, Walls and Trouten ends with the ball at Healy’s feet. Healy dances down to the by-line and cut the ball back across face of goal where Ferguson tapped the ball into the empty net, pulling the Fifers level. 

In the 65th minute, East Fife had an opportunity to take the lead after some sustained pressure. Schiavone played through to Shepherd, but his first-time shot is well saved by substitute Cantley in the Warrior’s goal. 

With only 9 minutes remaining, East Fife secured a deserved win with an incredibly well worked team goal. A one-two between Denholm and Ferguson saw the ball played out to Schiavone on the wing who’s cross was headed back across goal by Walls into the path of Shepherd to tap home sparking celebrations in the away end.

FULL TIME: Stenhousemuir 1-2 East Fife

An incredible three points for the Fifers, saw them jump up to 4th in the table and only a point behind 3rd placed Annan Athletic. Next up is a trip to bottom of the league Bonnyrigg Rose, however this will be no easy task as the Rose have picked up 7 points out of their last 6 games. 

Stenhousemuir Team: Lyle (Cantley 45’), Blaney (Anderson 87’), Crighton, Jamieson, Yeats (Lowdon 87’), Yates, Miller, Wedderburn, Brown )O’Reilly 68’), Reilly, Forbes (Orr 76’)

East Fife: Fleming, Steele, Page, Denham, Newton, Walls (McManus 85’), Ferguson, Trouten, Healy (Denholm 73’), Schiavone (Omar 90+3’), Shepherd (Young 85’)

Referee: Scott Lambie

Attendance: 474

Report by Andrew Laing