BW Technology Logo   Taxi Centre Fife W Glendinning  Pinpoint  

East Fife got competitive action underway in the 2022/23 season with a Premier Sports Cup tie at home to fellow Fife team Dunfermline Athletic. Ryan Schiavone, Scott Shepherd, Alan Trouten and Sam Denham all made their competitive debuts, as they were all named in the starting eleven for the Methil men. Stewart Murdoch was given the privilege of wearing the captain’s armband. 

There was very little to split the two teams in the first half. East Fife had a half chance after 5 minutes. Brogan Walls won the ball off a Pars player excellently in the centre of the pitch, before playing a pass to Scott Shepard down the left flank who sent a cross into the box however the Dunfermline defender got there ahead of the onrushing Allan Trouten to clear for a corner to East Fife. 

Dunfermline had the best chance of the half with 5 minutes to go. Joe Chalmers sending in an in-swinging corner, which was met by the head of a leaping Lewis McCann but Fleming got down well and quickly to stop the ball from hitting the back of the net. Chalmers then blazef the ball high and wide of the goal on the follow up effort. Referee Iain Snedden blew for half time shortly after.

East Fife began the second half with an early sight of the goal with Trouten laying off a pass to Schiavone whose effort was dragged wide. The Fifers made two substitutions by the hour mark with new signing Lucas Williamson replacing Trouten and Schiavone making way for starlet Jack Healy. 

Dunfermline opened the scoring when McCann smashing home a volley from close range following a corner. Sam Denham was the first to go into the referee’s book following a cynical challenge on the Dunfermline forward shortly after.

With 10 minutes to go, East Fife made their third and final change with Pat Slattery coming on for Denham. A short while after, the Pars were awarded a penalty when Comrie was fouled inside the box. McCann doubles his scoring tally and doubles the lead for the Pars as he slotted into the bottom corner.

With the 90 minutes up, the referee blew the whistle for full time and Dunfermline take all three points back to East End Park. Despite the visitors getting the better of East Fife, the chance to qualify for the second round is not yet over, just a little bit more difficult. 

Andrew Laing